Spam Text Messages | Sue for Unsolicited Text Messages
Spam text messages are more than just a nuisance, they are often illegal.
In 2018, the Federal Trade Commission logged 93,331 consumer complaints about unwanted junk text messages, a 30 percent increase over the prior year. We expect this upward trajectory to continue.
If you are being bothered by unsolicited spam text messages, you can take legal action. Under the Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA), you may be eligible for compensation of $500 to $1500 per unsolicited text, which can be trebled if the violation is knowing, willful, or intentional.
Our attorneys at Anderson + Wanca can provide representation for those looking to file a spam text lawsuit. We are experienced with spam text message cases and we have obtained over $10 million in settlements for consumers.
If you believe that you have received illegal spam text messages, please fill out our short contact form or call Anderson + Wanca at (855) 857-2329 and we will review your claim for free. We are located in the suburban Chicago, IL area and can provide representation across the U.S.
The TCPA and Illegal Spam Text Messages
The Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA) was passed by Congress in 1991 to put restrictions on spam phone calls and messages to protect consumers from telemarketers. Under this law, telemarketers can only call (text) people who have given permission to receive the calls and messages and are not allowed to contact people on the Do Not Call list, with some exceptions.
If the call or text is an advertisement, then permission must be written.
Can I Stop Illegal Spam Text Messages?
If you are getting spam text messages, it is important to stop them. Some of these messages could be coming from spammers trying to steal your identity or defraud you in some way.
If you want to protect yourself and your data from spam texts, you must do the following:
- Do not respond to the messages, this will lead to further messages and increase the risk that your number will be sold to other spammers.
- Do not click any links, this could result in identity theft, data loss, or the installation of malware.
- Never give any personal information to an unfamiliar number such as your name, credit card information, social security number, income, passwords, etc.
Remember, any spam text messages you receive without giving prior express consent are illegal.
How to Sue for Unsolicited Text Messages
You can speak to one of our experienced attorneys at Anderson + Wanca if you are receiving illegal spam text messages. Our attorneys will review your case to determine if the TCPA has been violated and the damages you are entitled to.
You can help your spam text lawsuit by doing the following:
- Do not delete any spam text messages. Keep them on your phone as evidence as they contain the date, time, sending phone number, and content of the message. You should also take screenshots of the text messages and find a third-party app that can save the messages.
- Record as much information as you can. Spammers will try to hide their number or any other information that can identify them. Collecting as much information as possible will give you a better chance of being able to identify the spammers.
- Talk to an experienced lawyer. Our attorneys at Anderson + Wanca are experienced when it comes to spam text lawsuits and we can hold the spammers accountable for violating the TCPA. We will help you gather all necessary evidence, reports spam text messages to the FTC, review your case to see if you are eligible for compensation, and take legal action to hold the spammers liable and get the maximum compensation.
Do not hesitate to call our attorneys at Anderson + Wanca to file a lawsuit if you are bothered by unsolicited spam text messages. We will review your case for free and guide you through every step to obtain the compensation you deserve.